Rome’s World: The Peutinger Map Reconsidered
Richard J. A. Talbert
Description and Contents
A companion website to the monograph (2010) of the same same, Rome's World provides users with browsable, hi-resolution images of the Peutinger Map (Tabula Peutingeriana), along with digital markup on the map itself. In addition, a concordance is provided, allowing the user to correlate the Peutinger Map with the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World and, in turn, the Pleiades gazetteer.
The Peutinger map, a medieval copy of a Roman map of the Mediterranean world, offers important insight into ancient geography and worldview. Talbert's monograph reanalyzes the map itself and this website provides authoritative, curated content related to the map and our understanding of it .
- Map A presents the user with a seamless digital version of the Peutinger map, in color, at full size. The eleven segments of the map, photographed in 2000, have been stitched together and a grid reference has been laid over the images.
- Map B provides segmented, black-and-white photos of the Peutinger map.
- Maps C-F provide Peutinger map routes and itineraries that are displayed over Barrington Atlas map bases. These are downloadable raster files for use with a GIS software.
- Plates presents digital versions of the plates from Talbert's monograph.
- Concordance presents a concordance of place names in the Peutinger map. This allows the user to correlate these features with the Barrington Atlas and other resources.