OCR for ancient Greek
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Ancient Greek OCR provides downloads and instructions for OCR using the Tesseract engine. Works on Windows, Linux, OSX & Android.
- The Gamera toolkit for analysing and scanning complex texts includes some experiments with polytonic Greek
- Bruce Robertson reports on some preliminary results of a survey of techniques: http://www.heml.org/RobertsonGreekOCR/
- Federico Boschetti did some earlier experimentation with adapting/training Google's OCR engine tesseract to ancient Greek texts: http://www.himeros.eu/ (related paper)
- The commercial OCR software Anagnostis (€585) can handle ancient Greek, though apparently poorly
- ABBYY FineReader can be made to work with ancient Greek with extensive training
- Google Docs now allows you to have it do OCR on uploaded documents in a variety of languages, and you can get some results by specifying "Greek" and uploading a PDF (images seem not to work). Quality is about on the level of Google Books OCR of printed ancient Greek.
- AccessTEI is a service for members of the TEI for manual keying of texts which can handle ancient Greek