Digital Acropolis Museum
- Dimitrios Pantermalis, Acropolis Museum President
- Eleni Dede (Information Society S.A.)
Taken from the project website (Accessed 2021-07-06):
The Acropolis Museum enters dynamically into the world of digital technology and opens new channels of communication with the public. The large number of applications that were developed under the programme “Creation of the Digital Acropolis Museum” showcases the multiple aspects of its exhibits, offers unique experiences in its galleries and creates a new, exciting world for kids and grownups alike. At the same time its new website captures in a contemporary way the Museum’s function and activities, provides multidimensional orientation and entertainment, renders all its collections open and accessible to the international community and forms an attractive environment, designed specifically for children.
The programme “Creation of the Digital Acropolis Museum” has been integrated into the R.O.P. “Attica 2014-2020”MIS: 5010606 with total budget 1.330.240,63 € excluding 24% VAT. Following international trends and practices, the present multifaceted and diverse programme achieved the following goals:
- The creation of an interactive area for digital exhibits in the Museum using digital applications of cultural, educational and touristic content.
- The creation of a website which forms the core of communication between the Museum and its public, offers equal and freeaccess to the Museum collections and exhibits, and fosters deeper understanding and learning.
- The promotion of the multitude of aspects of the objects included in the Museum’s collections through the full deployment of all potential provided by multimedia technology.
- The multidimensional employment of digital material with the scope to enhance enjoyment and first-hand experience of both the actual and online visitors.
- The long-term digital preservation of cultural objects through the documentation and digitization of the archaeological material that regards the finds from the Acropolis and its Slopes as well as the excavation at the Makriyiannis plot.
- The availability, accessibility and straightforward management of the archaeological material;aiming to promote scientific research and visitors’ experience.
- The provision for and establishment of the appropriate equipment in the Museum premises with the aim to cover the needs of the present programme.