Sketchfab is a commercial company that delivers an online viewer and repository for 3D images and models of many kinds. The main search interface offers access to millions of 3D models, ranging from historical objects, to toys, animations, and newly designed models in any genre. There are Enterprise and Professional account options, but a free account allows unlimited upload of models so long as they are either freely downloadable or offered for sale in the Sketchfab shop. Many models are not only freely downloadable but offered under Creative Commons or Public Domain licenses, and models may be studied, modified, re-uploaded, or 3D printed (for example).
One of the top-level categories in Sketchfab is Cultural Heritage & History, which contains models from a wide range of places and periods of history, provenances and institutions or individuals.
Example heritage accounts
- Cultural Heritage Imaging
- Hellenic and Roman Library's Ehrenberg Collection
- British Museum
- Fitwilliam Museum, Cambridge
- Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology
- Horniman Museum, London
- SunoikisisDC session on Sketchfab and publishing 3D models
- Thomas Flynn, Neal Stimler and Michael Weinberg (2020). GLAM3D. Engelberg Center on Innovation Law & Policy. Available: https://glam3d.org/
- Sketchfab Cultural Heritage User Survey 2019 Results