- Professor and Director of UCL Centre for Digital Humanities
- Professorial Teaching Fellow in Digital Humanities
- Department of Information Studies
- University College London
- s.mahony (at) ucl.ac.uk
2010 - present: Professorial Teaching Fellow at the UCL Centre for Digital Humanities University College London
Tutor for modules at MA level:
2004 - present: Student Support Manager: War Studies Online Department of War Studies, King’s College London
2004 - 2009: Research Associate at the Centre for Computing in the Humanities (CCH now DDH), King’s College London.
Co-founder and co-organiser of the Digital Classicist
Associate Fellow at the Institute of Classical Studies
Editor of the Stoa Consortium
Member of the Centre for Distance Education at the University of London.
- Mahony, S. & Gao, J. (2019) 'Linguistic and Cultural Hegemony in the Digital Humanities', Proceedings of the Digital Humanities Congress 2018, Digital Humanities Institute, University of Sheffield. https://www.dhi.ac.uk/openbook/chapter/dhc2018-mahony (UCL Discovery)
- Mahony, S. (2019) 'Review of Analysis of Ancient and Medieval Texts and Manuscripts: Digital Approaches, Brepols 2014'. Varients, The Journal of the European Society for Textual Scholarship 2019:14 https://journals.openedition.org/variants/778 (UCL Discovery)
- Franzini, G., Terras, M., & Mahony, S. (2019). 'Digital Editions of Text: Surveying User Requirements in the Digital Humanities', Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH) February 2019 Article No: 1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/3230671
- Kamposiori, C., Warwick, C., & Mahony, S. (2018). Accessing and using digital libraries in art history. Digital Research and Education in Architectural Heritage, 817, 83-101. Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-76992-9_6 (UCL Discovery)
- Mahony, S. (2018 ) 'Cultural Diversity and the Digital Humanities', Fudan Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences pp. 1-18. Springer. UCL Discovery. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1007/s40647-018-0216-0
- Mahony, S. (2017) 'Reflections on knowledge production within the framework of UK academic institutions' Sagástegui, Diana (Ed). Producción del conocimiento en las sociedades contemporáneas [Knowledge production in contemporary societies], México: Universidad de Guadalajara.
- Mahony, S, (2017). 'The Digital Classicist: building a Digital Humanities Community', Digital Humanities Quaterly 11:3. online
- Kamposiori, C., Warwick, C., & Mahony, S. (2017). 'Building Personal Collections in Art History'. In: Champion, E., Dallas, C., & Benardou, A. (eds.), Cultural Heritage Digital Tools and Infrastructures. Ashgate, UK. Publisher's website
- Steiner, K. and Mahony, S. (2016). 'How are digital methods changing research in the study of the classical world? Ap EpiDoc case study'. Panta Rei. Revista Digital de Ciencia y Didáctica de la Historia, 125-148. ISSNe: 2386-8864 DOI: 10.6018/pantarei/2016/8 Publisher's webpage.
- Mahony, S. (2016). 'Open Education and Open Educational Resources for the Teaching of Classics in the UK'. In: Romanello, M & Bodard, G (eds.) Digital Classics Outside the Echo-Chamber: Teaching, Knowledge Exchange & Public Engagement, Pp. 33–50. London: Ubiquity Press. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5334/bat.c. License: CC-BY 4.0. Publisher's website.
- Campagnolo, A, Giacometti, A, MacDonald, L, Mahony, S, Terras, M and Gibson, A. (2016). 'Cultural Heritage Destruction: Experiments with Parchment and Multispectral Imaging'. In: Romanello, M & Bodard, G (eds.) Digital Classics Outside the Echo-Chamber: Teaching, Knowledge Exchange & Public Engagement, Pp. 121–146. London: Ubiquity Press. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5334/bat.h. License: CC-BY 4.0. Publisher's website.
- Franzini, G., Mahony, S., and Terras, M. (2016), 'A Catalogue of Digital Editions.' In: Pierazzo, E. and Driscoll, M. J. (eds) Scholarly digital editions: Theory, practice and future perspectives, Open Book Publishers. Publisher's website.
- Mahony, S; Nyhan, J; Terras, M and Tiedau, U (2016) 'Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Integrative Learning and New Ways of Thinking About Studying the Humanities'.In: Clare Mills, Michael Pidd and Jessica Williams. Proceedings of the Digital Humanities Congress 2014. Studies in the Digital Humanities. Sheffield: HRI Online Publications, 2014. Publisher's website
- Giacometti A, Terras MM, Campagnolo A, macdonald L, Mahony S, Robson S, Weyrich T, Gibson A (2015), 'The Value of Critical Destruction: Evaluating Multispectral Image Processing Methods for the Analysis of Primary Historical Texts', Digital Scholarship in the Humanities. Publisher's website.
- Welsh, A., Bikakis, A., Garea Garcia, N., Mahony, S., Inskip, C., & Vogel, M. (2015). 'Work in Progress: the Linked Open Bibliographic Data Project'. Catalogue and Index (178), 15-19. Publisher's PDF
- Julianne Nyhan, Melissa Terras and Simon Mahony (2014). 'Integrative learning and Digital Humanities'. In, Integrative Learning: International Research and Practice edited by Daniel Blackshields, James Cronin, Bettie Higgs, Shane Kilcommins, Marian McCarthy. Routledge: UK publisher's webpage.
- Atik Kulaki & Simon Mahony (2014) 'Knowledge Creation and Sharing with Web 2.0 Tools for Teaching and Learning Roles in So-called University 2.0' in Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 150, Pages 648–657. 10th International Strategic Management Conference 2014; publishers PDF.
- Anastasia-Yvoni Spiliopoulou, Simon Mahony, Vassilis Routsis, Christina Kamposiori (2014) 'Cultural institutions in the digital age: British Museum’s use of Facebook Insights', Participations: Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, Volume11, Issue 1 publisher's PDF
- Mahony, S., Tiedau, U. (2013). Should the Digital Humanities be taking a lead in Open Access and Online Teaching Materials? In Digital Humanities 2013: Conference Abstracts ( pp.290-292). Lincoln, Nebraska, US University of Nebraska, Center for Digital Research in the Humanities. Publisher URL
- Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony eds (2013) The Digital Classicist 2013. London: BICS Supplement-122 Institute of Classical Studies. (Introduction offprint)
- Simon Mahony (2013) 'HumSlides on Flickr: using an online community platform to host and enhance an image collection', in Dunn & Mahony (eds) The Digital Classicist 2013. London: BICS Supplement-122, Institute of Classical Studies. (Offprint)
- Mahony, S. (2013). Handbook on Open Data in Education [contributor to]. Hanover, Germany Open Knowledge Foundation. Publisher URL Online version, EPub version, PDF version
- Simon Mahony and Elena Pierazzo (2013) 'Teaching Skills or Teaching Methodology?', in Hirsch ed. Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Practices, Principles and Politics, Open Book Publishers.
- Simon Mahony, Ulrich Tiedau and Irish Sirmons, 'Open access and online teaching materials for digital humanities', in Warwick, Terras, & Nyhan eds. (2012). Digital Humanities in Practice. Facet. Overview and case studies are available on the blog.
- Simon Mahony (2011) 'Research communities and open collaboration: the example of the Digital Classicist wiki', Digital Medievalist 6 (2011), available at:http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/journal/6/mahony/
- With Gabriel Bodard eds. (2010) Digital Research in the Study of Classical Antiquity, Ashgate. Flyer available at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/865279/DRSCA.pdf
- With Gabriel Bodard eds. (2008) "Though much is taken, much abides": Recovering antiquity through innovative digital methodologies, Digital Classicist special issue, Digital Medievalist 4 (2008), available at:http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/journal/4/
- Simon Mahony (2007) 'Using digital resources in building and sustaining learning communities', Body, Space & Technology Journal, Vol 07/02. Available at: http://people.brunel.ac.uk/bst/vol0702/simonmahony/
- Gabriel Bodard, Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony. Digital Classicist panels: Teaching and Publication of Classics in the Internet Age. Ancient Space, Linked Data and Digital Research. Classical Association Annual Conference 2011 (University of Durham) Programme
- Gabriel Bodard, Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony. Digital Classicist panel: A discipline-specific community of practice and interdisciplinary methods, Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2008 (University of Cambridge September 2008). Programme at: http://www.rsd.cam.ac.uk/DRHA08/assets/docs/DRHAProgramme08.pdf
- Gabriel Bodard, Simon Mahony, Digital Classicist Panel 1: Research into people and places
- Gabriel Bodard, Simon Mahony, Digital Classicist Panel 2: Interdisciplinary approaches to research and pedagogy. Classical Association Annual Conference 2007: Birmingham University. Panel abstracts at: http://www.ca2007.bham.ac.uk/CAProgramme.pdf
Conference papers and presentations
- Simon Mahony, Jin Gao: 'Linguistic and Cultural Hegemony in the Digital Humanities', Digital Humanities Congress 2018 (Abstract)
- Jin Gao, Simon Mahony, Oliver Duke-Williams, Julianne Nyhan: 'What do we write about in the Digital Humanities? A comparative study of Chinese and English publications', Digital Humanities Congress 2018 (Abstract)
- Simon Mahony, Jin Gao: The 3rd Peking University Digital Humanities Forum: Incubation and Application: How Digital Humanities Projects Cater to Academic Needs. 'What do we write about in the Digital Humanities? a comparative study of Chinese and English publications' (2018)
- University Town Library of Shenzhen / Shenzhen Science & Technology Library: International Conference on Library and Digital Humanities (2017) Digital Humanities pedagogy: digital Culture and education'.
- Fudan Institute for Advanced Study in Social Sciences: Cross-cultural, Cross-group and Comparative Modernity Conference (2017) 'Cultural diversity and the Digital Humanities'.
- Mahony S., Dahlan K., Hauswedell T., Tiedau U., 'Reflections on the development of an introductory MOOC for DH methodologies', Digital Humanities Congress 2016 University of Sheffield. Abstracts
- Garea Garcia, N., Welsh, A., Bikakis, A., Mahony, S., Inskip, C., & Vogel, M. (2015). Core Concepts for Future Cataloguers. Presented at: CILIP Conference 2015.
- Mahony, Simon; Nyhan, Julianne; Terras, Melissa; Tiedau, Ulrich. 'Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Integrative Learning and New Ways of Thinking About Studying the Humanities', Digital Humanities Congress 2014 University of Sheffield. abstracts
- Warwick, Claire; Mahony, Simon; Rayner, Samantha; Team, The INKE. 'The dog that didn’t bark: A longitudinal study of reading behaviour in physical and digital environments', Digital Humanities 2014 (University of Lausanne) abstracts
- 'Open Educational Resources and their place in teaching and research for Classics.' Classical Association Annual Conference 2014 (University of Nottingham)
- 'Should the Digital Humanities be taking a lead in Open Access and Online Teaching Materials?', Digital Humanities 2014 (University of Lincoln Nebraska) Abstract
- Campagnolo, A., Giacometti, A., MacDonald, L., Mahony, S., Terras, M., Robson, S., Weyrich, T., Gibson, A. (2013).
Cultural Heritage Destruction: Measuring Information Recovery from Multispectral Images of Deteriorated parchment. British Library, Topic Talk, Collections Care. 11th September 2013.
- Campagnolo, A., Giacometti, A., MacDonald, L., Mahony, S., Terras, M., Robson, S., Gibson, A. (2013). Documenting and Interpreting Parchment Deterioration by Visual Analysis and Multispectral Imaging. In Icon
PF13, Positive Futures in an Uncertain World. Glasgow. April 2013.
- Kamposiori, C., Warwick, C., & Mahony, S. (2013) Building Personal Collections: Supporting the Information Practices of Art Historians in the Digital Age. Working paper presented at the Cultural Heritage, Creative Tools and Archives Workshop, National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen, 26-27 June 2013.
- Alejandro Giacometti, Alberto Campagnolo, Lindsay MacDonald, Simon Mahony, Melissa Terras, Stuart Robson, Tim Weyrich and Adam Gibson (2012). "Cultural Heritage Destruction: Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging" EVA (Electronic Visualisation in the Arts) London 2012. British Computer Society, London, July 2012. http://www.eva-london.org/eva-london
- Alejandro Giacometti, Alberto Campagnolo, Lindsay MacDonald, Simon Mahony, Melissa Terras, Stuart Robson, Tim Weyrich, and Adam Gibson. "Cultural Heritage Destruction: Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging". June 22ns 2012, Digital Classicist & Institute of Classical Studies Seminar, Summer 2012. Senate House, London.
- Alejandro Giacometti, Lindsay MacDonald, Alberto Campagnolo, Melissa Terras, Simon Mahony, Tim Weyrich, Stuart Robson, Adam Gibson. (2012). "Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging" UCL Biomedical Optics Research Laboratory Work in Progress Seminar Series. UCL, May 2012.
- Giacometti, A., Terras, M., Gibson, A., and Mahony, S. "Multi-Spectral Image Processing Methods For Analysing Ancient Documents". Paper presented at the Society for Digital Humanities / Société pour l’étude des médias interactifs (SDH/SEMI) annual conference at the 2011 Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities. University of New Brunswick and St. Thomas University, Fredericton.
- 'Digitizing and Enriching a Teaching Image Collection for Classics', Classical Association Annual Conference 2011 (Durham University 2011) Programme
- 'Using collaborative resources to develop a programme for teaching and supporting information literacy', Interface: 1st International Symposium for Humanities and Technology (University of Southampton July 2009) Paper available at: http://www.scribd.com/group/77000-interface
- 'HumSlides 2.0: a second generation on-line collaborative image resource for teaching and learning', Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2008 (University of Cambridge September 2008). Abstract at: http://www.rsd.cam.ac.uk/drha08/speakerabs.aspx?absid=26
- 'An Interdisciplinary Perspective on Building Learning Communities within Digital Humanities', Digital Humanities 2008 (University of Oulu - Finland, June 2008) Abstract at: http://www.ekl.oulu.fi/dh2008/Digital%20Humanities%202008%20Book%20of%20Abstracts.pdf
- 'Using digital resources in building and sustaining learning communities'. Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2007 (Dartington College September 2007) Programme at: http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha07/
- 'New tools for learning and collaborative research: the Digital Classicist Wiki'. Classical Association Annual Conference 2007 (Birmingham University April 2007) Abstract at: http://www.ca2007.bham.ac.uk/CAProgramme.pdf
- 'Humslides: creating an on-line digital resource for teaching and learning'. Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2006 (Dartington College September 2006) Programme at: http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha06/
- 'New Tools for Collaborative Research: the Example of the Digital Classicist Wiki'. Computers Literature and Philology (King’s College London, June 2006) Abstract at: http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/clip2006/redist/abstracts_pdf/paper31.pdf
- co-authored with Martyn Jessop 'The pedagogy of Humanities Computing', Digital Resources for the Humanities 2005 (University of Lancaster September 2005) Programme at: http://www.drh.org.uk/drh2005-programme.pdf
- Digital Classicist Work-in-Progress summer series 2006 to present, Institute of Classical Studies, Senate House London. Programme and abstracts at: http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/
- Sun Yat-sen University, School of Information Management, Digital Humanities Research and Teaching in the Information Discipline (December 2019), ‘Pushing the Boundaries of Digital Humanities Research’.
- The 6th International Conference on Publishing Industry and Publishing Education in the Digital Era, Wuhan University (November 2019), 'Open Publishing and Open Science: Managing the Changes'.
- l’École nationale des chartes, l’Université Paris Diderot, 4e Session de la Semaine Académique à l’étranger de l’Université de Wuhan (October 2019), Sino-French Forum, Cultural Heritage and Digital Humanities: A comparative approach through research projects, 'Non-invasive and Non-destructive Computational Imaging of Cultural Heritage'.
- The Belt and Road” Academic Publishing symposium: Bridging East and West, Beijing Normal University (August 2019) 'The Open Agenda: Open Access, Open Publishing and Open Education'.
- Dunhuang (DH20019) International Symposium on the Digitalization of Cultural Heritage & the Annual Conference of Specialized Committee for Digital Humanities of the China Society for Social Sciences (July 2019), 'Advanced Imaging Techniques to support Cultural Heritage Research'.
- Peking University Digital Humanities Mini Forum (June 2019), 'Digital Humanities research projects, at UCLDH: staff, students and the library'.
- Renmin University, School of Information Resource Management (June 2019), 'The Open Agenda: Open Access, Open Publishing and Open Science.'
- Beijing Municipal Archives (June 2019), International Archives Week and the opening of the new archives building: 'Digital Humanities research at UCL and its impact in a global context.'
- University of Nanjing (April 2019)
Digital Humanities Initiative seminar: Rethinking Digital Humanities through the Comparative Insights 'Connecting the Curriculum: Dgital Humanities teaching and Research at UCL'
- University Nottingham Ningbo China (April 2019)
Research seminar series: 'The Open Agenda: Open Access, Open Publishing and Open Science'
- Zhejiang University, Hangzhou (April 2019)
Research seminar series: 'Digital Humanities research and teaching at UCL in a global context'
- Shanghai Library (Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of Shanghai) (April 2019)
Digital Humanities Research seminar series: 'The Research Projects and Operation of a Digital Humanities Centre: the Experiences from UCL'
- Wuhan University (April 2019)
Invited guest lectures: 'Connecting the Curriculum: Digital Humanities teaching and research at UCL' 'User Centred Design and the Cultural Influence on Digital Design'
- 2nd EAST- the International Conference on Education, Art, Science and Technology at CAFA: China Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing, 'Digital Humanities Teaching and Research at UCL: Connecting the Curriculum' (November 2018)
- The 9th Shanghai International Library Forum (SILF2018) 'Open Access, Open Publishing and Open Science' (October 2018)
- Renmin University, School of Information Resource Management ' Digital Humanities research at UCL and its impact in a global context' (June 2018).
- 2018 World Historical & Cultural Cities Expo Invitation of “Inheritance & Development” Intangible Cultural Heritage Forum, Nanjing: 'Unlocking Intangible Cultural Heritage: an oral history approach'. (May 2018)
- Nanjing University, School of Arts and Cultural Heritage: Cultural diversity and the Digital Humanies (May 2018)
- Nanjing University, School of History: Digital Humanities research at UCL and its impact in a global context (April 2018)
- Shanghai National Library: Digital Humanities Research at University College London (April 2018)
- China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design: Digital Humanities research projects: staff, PhD and graduate students (April 2018)
- University of Wuhan, Department of Publishing Science: Digital Humanities teaching and research at University College London (April 2018)
- University Town Library of Shenzhen / Shenzhen Science & Technology Library: International Conference on Library and Digital Humanities (December 2017) Digital Humanities pedagogy: digital Culture and education'.
- Fudan Institute for Advanced Study in Social Sciences: Cross-cultural, Cross-group and Comparative Modernity Conference (November 2017) 'Cultural diversity and the Digital Humanities'.
- Peking University (PKU) 'Digital Humanities at University College' London (2017)
- Hangzhou Normal University: 'Digital Humanities research and teaching at University College London' (2017).
- The British Council invited guest speaker: 'Skills for Research: identifying and developing best practice in development for doctoral students' (2017)
- Perspectives on doctoral student development: sharing experiences from UCL
- Research communities in the UK, best practices and challenges.
- The China Academy of Art, Shanghai Institute of Design (2016) 'Designing a Digital Publishing Product'.
- An invited member of the British Council for the UK Guest of Honour Delegation to the FIL – the 2015 Guadalajara International Book Fair. Speaking at the University of Guadalajara's XIX International Annual Meeting of Educational Research.
- 01/12/2015: ‘Reflections on knowledge production within the framework of UK academic institutions’.
- 02/12/2015: ‘Digital Humanities Pedagogy: digital culture and education’.
- London Museums Group, The Ideal Cultural Workforce (2015) A Digital Humanities approach to skills development for the cultural heritage sector.
- Hestia2 Digital Pedagogy: transforming the interface between research and teaching (2014). With Gabriel Bodard, Open Educational Resources and the Digital Classicist community. 
- Keynote address to open Keynote address to open Digital Classicist, Berlin (2013), TOPOI:
- University College Cork (2013), Teaching and Learning Centre, Digital Humanities pedagogy: new approaches and new ways of thinking about the Humanities?
- University of Lampeter, (2012) Department Classics Research Seminars: Digitising Scholarly Resources for Classics
- Keynote address to open 2012 Leipzig eHumanities Seminar series: 'The Digital Classicist: building a Digital Humanities Community'.
- Using your computer for research. University College London, Department of Geography Residential Weekend for PhD Students (October 2008)
- HEA Digital Humanities Summit 2014: invited participant.
- Digital Classicist Training Day (2011) Classical Association Annual Conference, University of Durham. programme
- Before You Start: OER, IPR and Licensing Workshop (2010). OER IPR Support Project workshop run at UCL.
- Open Source Critical Editions workshop King’s College London (2006). (ICT Methods Network expert seminar series). Respondent: Collaboration. Programme at: http://wiki.digitalclassicist.org/OSCE_Programme
- Transatlantic yachtsman