2010 - present: Senior Teaching Fellow at the UCL Centre for Digital Humanities
University College London
Programme Director MA/MSc Digital Humanities
Tutor for modules at MA level:
2004 - present: Student Support Manager: War Studies Online Department of War Studies, King’s College London
2004 - 2009: Research Associate at the Centre for Computing in the Humanities (CCH now DDH), King’s College London.
Co-founder and co-organiser of the Digital Classicist
Associate Fellow at the Institute of Classical Studies
Editor of the Stoa Consortium
Member of the Centre for Distance Education
at the University of London.
- Julianne Nyhan, Melissa Terras and Simon Mahony (Forthcoming 2014). "Integrative learning and Digital Humanities". In, Integrative Learning: International Research and Practice edited by Daniel Blackshields, James Cronin, Bettie Higgs, Shane Kilcommins, Marian McCarthy. Routledge: UK
- Mahony, S., Tiedau, U. (2013). Should the Digital Humanities be taking a lead in Open Access and Online Teaching Materials? In Digital Humanities 2013: Conference Abstracts ( pp.290-292). Lincoln, Nebraska, US University of Nebraska, Center for Digital Research in the Humanities. Publisher URL
- Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony eds (2013) The Digital Classicist 2013. London: BICS Supplement-122 Institute of Classical Studies. (Introduction offprint)
- Simon Mahony (2013) 'HumSlides on Flickr: using an online community platform to host and enhance an image collection', in Dunn & Mahony (eds) The Digital Classicist 2013. London: BICS Supplement-122, Institute of Classical Studies. (Offprint)
- Mahony, S. (2013). Handbook on Open Data in Education [contributor to]. Hanover, Germany Open Knowledge Foundation. Publisher URL
- Simon Mahony, Ulrich Tiedau and Irish Sirmons, 'Open access and online teaching materials for digital humanities', in Warwick, Terras, & Nyhan eds. (2012). Digital Humanities in Practice. Facet. Overview and case studies are available on the blog.
- With Gabriel Bodard eds. (2008) "Though much is taken, much abides": Recovering antiquity through innovative digital methodologies, Digital Classicist special issue, Digital Medievalist 4 (2008), available at:http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/journal/4/
- Gabriel Bodard, Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony. Digital Classicist panels: Teaching and Publication of Classics in the Internet Age. Ancient Space, Linked Data and Digital Research. Classical Association Annual Conference 2011 (University of Durham) Programme
- Gabriel Bodard, Stuart Dunn and Simon Mahony. Digital Classicist panel: A discipline-specific community of practice and interdisciplinary methods, Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2008 (University of Cambridge September 2008). Programme at: http://www.rsd.cam.ac.uk/DRHA08/assets/docs/DRHAProgramme08.pdf
- Gabriel Bodard, Simon Mahony, Digital Classicist Panel 1: Research into people and places
- Gabriel Bodard, Simon Mahony, Digital Classicist Panel 2: Interdisciplinary approaches to research and pedagogy. Classical Association Annual Conference 2007: Birmingham University. Panel abstracts at: http://www.ca2007.bham.ac.uk/CAProgramme.pdf
- 'Open Educational Resources and their place in teaching and research for Classics.' Classical Association Annual Conference 2014 (University of Nottingham)
- 'Should the Digital Humanities be taking a lead in Open Access and Online Teaching Materials?', Digital Humanities 2014 (University of Lincoln Nebraska) Abstract
- Campagnolo, A., Giacometti, A., MacDonald, L., Mahony, S., Terras, M., Robson, S., Weyrich, T., Gibson, A. (2013).
Cultural Heritage Destruction: Measuring Information Recovery from Multispectral Images of Deteriorated parchment. British Library, Topic Talk, Collections Care. 11th September 2013.
- Campagnolo, A., Giacometti, A., MacDonald, L., Mahony, S., Terras, M., Robson, S., Gibson, A. (2013). Documenting and Interpreting Parchment Deterioration by Visual Analysis and Multispectral Imaging. In Icon
PF13, Positive Futures in an Uncertain World. Glasgow. April 2013.
- Alejandro Giacometti, Alberto Campagnolo, Lindsay MacDonald, Simon Mahony, Melissa Terras, Stuart Robson, Tim Weyrich and Adam Gibson (2012). "Cultural Heritage Destruction: Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging" EVA (Electronic Visualisation in the Arts) London 2012. British Computer Society, London, July 2012. http://www.eva-london.org/eva-london
- Alejandro Giacometti, Alberto Campagnolo, Lindsay MacDonald, Simon Mahony, Melissa Terras, Stuart Robson, Tim Weyrich, and Adam Gibson. "Cultural Heritage Destruction: Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging". June 22ns 2012, Digital Classicist & Institute of Classical Studies Seminar, Summer 2012. Senate House, London.
- Alejandro Giacometti, Lindsay MacDonald, Alberto Campagnolo, Melissa Terras, Simon Mahony, Tim Weyrich, Stuart Robson, Adam Gibson. (2012). "Documenting Parchment Degradation via Multispectral Imaging" UCL Biomedical Optics Research Laboratory Work in Progress Seminar Series. UCL, May 2012.
- Giacometti, A., Terras, M., Gibson, A., and Mahony, S. "Multi-Spectral Image Processing Methods For Analysing Ancient Documents". Paper presented at the Society for Digital Humanities / Société pour l’étude des médias interactifs (SDH/SEMI) annual conference at the 2011 Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities. University of New Brunswick and St. Thomas University, Fredericton.
- 'Digitizing and Enriching a Teaching Image Collection for Classics', Classical Association Annual Conference 2011 (Durham University 2011) Programme
- 'Using collaborative resources to develop a programme for teaching and supporting information literacy', Interface: 1st International Symposium for Humanities and Technology (University of Southampton July 2009) Paper available at: http://www.scribd.com/group/77000-interface
- 'Using digital resources in building and sustaining learning communities'. Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2007 (Dartington College September 2007) Programme at: http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha07/
- 'Humslides: creating an on-line digital resource for teaching and learning'. Digital Resources for the Humanities and Arts 2006 (Dartington College September 2006) Programme at: http://www.dartington.ac.uk/drha06/
Open Education, Open Educational Resources, and their impact on research led teaching in Classics. (abstract, video, slides)
- University College Cork (2013), Teaching and Learning Centre, Digital Humanities pedagogy: new approaches and new ways of thinking about the Humanities?
- University of Lampeter, (2012) Department Classics Research Seminars: Digitising Scholarly Resources for Classics
- Using your computer for research. University College London, Department of Geography Residential Weekend for PhD Students (October 2008)
- HEA Digital Humanities Summit 2014: invited participant.