EpiDoc Workshops have been run on several occasions over the past few years, with the intention of disseminating skills and experience and encouraging discussion on the topic of TEI markup for the encoding of epigraphic, papyrological, and other ancient texts.
The training programme for the September 2019 workshop in Berlin, can be found here
If you want to run an EpiDoc workshop
If you would like to run or host an EpiDoc training workshop at some point, please in the first instance contact the Markup list to canvass the possible trainers for their availability.
Please be prepared to:
- Invite two or preferably three experienced trainers to visit and run the workshop (if you have local support of colleagues or students with EpiDoc or TEI experience to help out, two EpiDoc trainers will be fine);
- begin planning the workshop at least 6 months ahead, and be flexible with time;
- provide a seminar room with space for 15-20 participants to sit comfortably, with reliable wireless internet access, data projection and plenty of power sockets/extension cables.
EpiDoc training events are offered on a spectrum of funding options, with higher priority given to the first items on this list:
- If you are able to budget for EpiDoc training as part of a funding application, please speak to us well in advance to estimate full costs of travel, accommodation, day-rate or consultancy fees, etc. for all trainers, and at least expenses for your participants.
- If your project is able, offering all trainers a respectable honorarium in addition to expenses would be a good thing—especial for those trainers who are not on tenured salaries.
- At a minimum, you should normally expect to cover transport and accommodation for trainers.
- If your university or project have no access to resources to cover these costs at all, it is possible that some trainers may be able to offer an EpiDoc workshop at their own institution's expense. This will be rare, and will probably have to be planned longer in advance than usual.
You may also be able to obtain help with some of these costs from your local university, funding council, or epigraphic society. Get in touch if you need advice on this.
- EpiDoc training, Universität Hamburg, February 17-19, 2020 programme
- Uppsala, March 2020.
- EpiDoc and EFES training, Institute of Classical Studies, London, April 20–24, 2020.
- In-depth training events have been held at:
- EpiDoc and DH Training for DHARMA Project, Humboldt University, Berlin, September 18-21, 2019 (programme)
- EpiDoc training, University of Zurich, September 10–11, 2019.
- EpiDoc workshop, Università di Bologna, Bologna, May 29-31, 2019 (in Italian) (programme)
- EpiDoc and epigraphy.info, Universität Wien, Wien, May 27–30, 2019. (programme)
- Epigraphy and digital epigraphy training, Institute of Classical Studies, London, April 29–May 3, 2019. (programme)
- EpiDoc and morphosyntactic annotation workshop, Helsinki, April 8–11, 2019. (programme)
- EpiDoc and 3D imaging workshop, Bilkent University and BIAA, Ankara, March 25–28, 2019. (programme)
- EpiDoc and geo-annotation workshop, Ilia State University, Tbilisi, February 11–14, 2019. (programme)
- EpiDoc training workshop, University of Belgrade, Serbia, September 17–20, 2018. (programme)
- EpiDoc & EFES training workshop, Institute of Classical Studies, April 9–13, 2018. (programme)
- EFES training workshop, University of Sofia, Bulgaria, October 30–Nov 3, 2017. (programme)
- EpiDoc training workshop, Brown University, Providence, RI, October 5-6, 2017. (programme)
- EFES training workshop, Institute of Classical Studies, London, September 25-29, 2017. (programme)
- Digital Humanities workshop, University of Sofia, Bulgaria, September 7-11, 2017. (programme)
- EpiDoc training workshop, Academy of Athens, May 2-5, 2017. (programme)
- Institute for Classical Studies, London, September 5-8, 2011; April 22-25, 2013; April 28-May 1, 2014 (programme); April 20-24, 2015 (programme); April 11–15, 2016 (programme); April 3-7, 2017 (programme)
- Digital Classics workshop, University of Barcelona, November 3–4, 2016. (programme)
- EpiDoc Workshop, Bologna: Sept 12-14, 2016 (call for participation)
- EpiDoc workshop in Digital Humanities summer school at Hissar, Bulgaria: September 5-10, 2016 (programme)
- Digital Epigraphy workshop, Babeș-Bolyai University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, March 28–April 1, 2016 (programme)
- Advanced EpiDoc / Digital Humanities summer school, University of Sofia, Bulgaria, September 7-11, 2015 (programme)
- EpiDoc/EAGLE training, Univerity of Bologna, Italy, May 25-27, 2015
- 3-day EpiDoc training, University of Oxford, May 5-7, 2015 (programme)
- EpiDoc/SoSOL workshop, Bologna, January 10-14, 2011; May 6-10, 2013; May 26-29, 2014
- EpiDoc training workshop on September 3-6, 2013 in Sofia, Bulgaria
- EpiDoc/SoSOL workshop, Duke University, July 15-17, 2010
- EpiDoc/SoSOL workshop, Università «Mediterranea», Reggio Calabria, June 4-7, 2012
- EpiDoc/SoSOL workshop, Lyon, September 13-17, 2010
- EpiDoc Summer School, Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London, July 2005; May 2006; June 2007; July 14-18, 2008; June 28th-July 1st, 2010
- EpiDoc/SoSOL workshop, King's College London, March 8-13, 2010
- EpiDoc workshop, British School at Rome, September 21-25, 2009
- EpiDoc training week, Humanities Lab, IULM, Milan, June 16-20, 2008
- Shorter training events have taken place at:
- EpiDoc-Training at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities 21-22 August 2019 (programme)
- Digital Humanities training workshop, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, June 13–15, 2018. (programme)
- EpiDoc demonstration and workshop, Epigraphic Congress (CIEGL), September 2017, Vienna
- One-day EpiDoc pre-conference workshop, TEI conference in École normale supérieure in Lyon, France, October 27, 2015
- Half-day EpiDoc/SNAP:DRGN training, University of Grenoble, France, September 2, 2015
- Digital Humanities Conference, Lausanne, July 2014
- EAGLE Europeana meeting, Ljubljana, Slovenia, February 2014
- TEI conference in La Sapienze, Roma, October 2013
- Maison Méditerranéenne des Sciences de l'Homme, Aix-en-Provence, February 2011
- National e-Science Centre in Edinburgh, February 2009
- AIA/APA meeting in San Diego, January 2007
- American Academy in Rome, October 2006
- Center for Hellenic Studies, Washington DC in 2005
Notes, questions and feedback from previous events are posted to the EpiDoc Training blog at: http://epidocworkshop.blogspot.com/
All slideshows and training materials are freely downloadable, and licensed for re-use and distribution.
other materials not used recently
For more information on future EpiDoc training events, please inquire on the Markup list